XFORCE is a custom-made, ultra-resistant and self-healing screen protector in the form of a siliconized film. To cope with the multiple screen formats (connected watches, computers, smartphones, tablets), the film is cut using a cutting plotter driven by a PC software. This offers great reactivity and flexibility.
Today, nearly 1,000 employees use the XFORCE software on different types of points of sale: WeFix corner, Fnac and Darty.
In the WeFix network, this represents 30 to 40 film installations per week in the corners of shopping centers and 70 films per week in the corners of Fnac and Darty stores.
State of Play
The purpose of the application is to propose a library of optimized, reliable and updated cuts to meet the demands of customers and the perpetual arrival of new models on the market.
However, today these cuttings are not always accurate, leading to errors. The means for reporting errors to the field teams are not optimized.
Although the software allows for the reporting of an error, technicians generally use another channel to make a request for rectification. These channels are: emails, Workplace and Zendesk.
The use of each of these channels varies among employees, which makes it difficult to manage requests on the supprot side. This offers little visibility on the changes in progress from the user’s point of view.
The growing number of users and referenced models led us to want to make changes that would make the use and management more fluid, usable and productive.
Let's get rid of
For our first workshop, we all think we know the habits, uses, obstacles and motivation of WeFix users of the XFORCE software.
What is it really? The objective is to write on post-it notes our beliefs according to categories in order to open a dialogue and to question them.
- XFORCE Support Team
- Regional Manager Team
- Coaching Team
- Myself as facilitator
Then, we create together a proto-persona: a sketch of the main user in order to interview users close to this sketch.
- Techs are people who like to do things right and fast. They are enthusiastic and proud of the XFORCE product. They take things to heart.
- They have problems with time and screen management because of the group dynamic (one person collects, the other has to wait before cutting and billing) and because of the very slow connection.
- Problems on cutting files are recurring, there is no way to escalate issues in the application. Tech goes outside of it to use 3-4 communication channels (Workplace, email, Zendesk). This forces them to make an effort to remember. On the support side, this effort doubles the workload because it must be organized to condense the requests (often identical issued by several people) and respond to them. The answers are not always satisfactory for the techs.
- Weekends are stressful times because the support and IT departments are not active, and there is a feeling of loneliness in the face of the current application that does not support them. In the SIS, an additional pressure comes to press on the tech: social pressure with the Fnac or Darty salesmen.
Let's talk with employees
- 2 novice technicians
- 1 novice manager
- 2 experienced managers
Understand the context, frequency of use, ways of doing things, perceptions, friction points, loss of motivation, etc. in order to verify our hypotheses and detect the real blocking points.
In a few words:
- Technicians and managers are people who love what they do. They have a distrust of new or little used cuts.
- They are frustrated by slowness and bugs.
- Some extreme profiles* have developed tricks to go faster or to communicate with the teams (staggered schedule)
- Most of them don’t know that there are bookmarks, a history and a hotline or even a way to record the cuts.
*Those who use it intensively and master its use – even improve it.
In a few words:
- Some defective blanks create mistrust because there is a mismatch and an expectation on the customer side that will not be met.
- There is a workload for the memorization of defective films and barcodes.
- The support response is not reported or read in the notifications. Users find that the defective model has been rectified, somewhat by accident.
How could we provide more visibility and reliability to our technicians in order to improve their productivity?
The new version of XFORCE_Client is a software that allows a smoother navigation and a quick access to the information you need.